Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 330.  Wednesday, 26 May 1993.
From:           Skip Shand <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 26 May 1993 13:32 EDT
Subject:        Shrew in the R.E.A.L. World
Unless my ears were playing tricks, an ad this morning on Radio 590 AM,
a Toronto country music station (don't ask!), invited folks to the
up-coming Schomberg Agricultural Fair, and promised all the usual fairground
fun and games, including "A Wife-Calling Contest, For Prizes"! (Not hog-
calling, but hogs calling, I presume.)
Is this an old fair tradition? Have I missed a crucial article on the
informing folk roots of the last scene of *Shrew*? Or is this just another
free-standing piece of tasteless piggery, but containing an eerie echo for
Skip Shand

Subscribe to Our Feeds

Make a Gift to SHAKSPER

Consider making a gift to support SHAKSPER.