Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 3, No. 387. Tuesday, 15 December 1992.

From:           Tad Davis <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Tuesday, 15 Dec 92 09:07:01 -0500
Subject: 3.0382  Shakespeare's Voice (Was Shakespeare as Himse
Comment:        RE: SHK 3.0382  Shakespeare's Voice (Was Shakespeare as Himse

I'd like to suggest another avenue of analysis altogether. Dig up the
Mountjoy depositions, the full set published by the Wallaces in 1910 (in
Nebraska University Studies, I think). Read the interrogatories and read
Shakespeare's full responses -- not just the bits and pieces that get
quoted in the various Lives. Note especially where Shakespeare's response
goes beyond the specific phrasing of the question, and where an initial
tentative response was crossed out and revised. In those tiny gaps, I
think, we get a glimpse of Shakespeare Himself speaking.

Not as revealing as a spiritual testament, but it's better than a laundry
list.

Meanwhile I remain confident that a vast trove of Shakespeare's letters,
diaries, personal recollections, and essays on the craft of playwrighting
remain buried under the sand at the Globe site.

Tad Davis
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Subscribe to Our Feeds

Make a Gift to SHAKSPER

Consider making a gift to support SHAKSPER.